Friday, April 20, 2012

It's a Wo(MAN)'s world.





I have been a feminist since I can remember. If someone told me that I couldn't do something because I was a 'girl', I made sure I did it. I learnt Karate for 3 years and I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I have broken bricks and glass (I have pictures to prove it). What I'm trying to say is, I have always been at par with the men around me and I'm used to that. I firmly disagree when people say that we are the weaker sex. What annoys me most are male chauvinists, they make me want to rip their skin off and beat them with it! (I'm usually not that violent but this is something that really, really annoys me). I guess you've got the basic idea about where I'm going with this.

I've been driving for over two years now and I'm a pretty good driver if I say so myself. I've never been fined for driving and I haven't been in any major accidents which is an achievement in itself (you would agree if you've ever driven on Delhi roads). So basically, it just makes my skin crawl when some men say that women are handicapped behind the wheel. According to them, women should just sit in the passenger seat and look pretty while they brave the traffic monster on the road. I’m not saying that all women are perfect drivers, but I find it ridiculous when it is a man’s fault on the road and he refuses to accept it because he believes that he has been blessed with magical driving powers just by the virtue of being a man and the poor woman driver’s brain is just way too small to contain the difference between a clutch and a break. It’s just RIDICULOUS! My ex believes that it has been ‘scientifically proved’ that reflexes of men are faster which obviously makes them better drivers. I think this is all a piece of shit, justlikehim.

A couple month’s back I met my friend’s flat mate on his birthday and I had the unfortunate luck of driving with him to pick up a few things for the party. It was a twenty minute drive and throughout that time he constantly kept criticizing my driving, my sense of direction and said that I lacked respect for my car. I wanted to drop him off on a highway in the middle of the night and drive off at full speed. I controlled my natural instinct to abuse him profusely and politely told him to shut his pie whole. He kept saying, and mind you, this is a direct quote, “You have been living in Noida for four years right? Wow! And you know the way to the market? That is very impressive. I’m not trying to be mean but whenever I see someone breaking traffic rules on the road; I always assume that it’s a woman.” I fail to understand why men have these preconceived notions about women and find it against their manhood to admit their fault on the road. The same guy got drunk that night and almost crashed my car, I’m just saying.


Yesterday I was driving my sister to the mall when a man came on a scooter from the wrong direction, almost crashed into my car and started shouting, ‘Females can’t drive’. Hello! Need I point out that you are on the wrong side of the road?!. I wanted to get out the car and give him a piece of my mind but then I wonder, what the point of it would be. Some men have become so rigid in their thinking that they refuse to admit their faults, and women continue to take the blame for their foolishness. It’s a sad world we live in.


1 comment:

Raghav_Einstein said...

Women are scientifically proven to be right even when they are wrong. So I would not choose to argue. I have seen you drive. But I would like to see the pictures of broken glass pieces and bricks from you karate lessons. :P Strong girl you are.

I don't know you very well but all I know that you have not just proved to be a stronger girl than most men but also have raised the bar at a higher level. You got graduated, got a placement offer and most men cannot write such basic interesting blogs which defines one's life. You give us the perfect idea that someday life will all make perfect sense, so laugh through the confusion smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself everything happens for a reason.

Peace :)